BIPOC Support Group
Co-facilitated by Anita Avedian, LMFT, and Destiny Johnson, MA.
About the Black, Indigenous, and a Person of Color “(BIPOC)” Support Group
The BIPOC support group offer support for members who have a shared common experience, as it pertains to being BIPOC in the United States (U.S). The processing and support of this group will occur as the members interact with each other.
- Have you ever experienced racial discrimination?
- Have you ever processed your feelings surrounding racial issues?
- Are you feeling overwhelmed by the current racial injustice happening in the U.S.?
- Do you need a safe space to discuss feelings related to racism?
- Are you searching for ways to process your feelings about the current climate of racial issues?
- Have you ever experienced prejudice because of the color of your skin?
- Have you ever been treated unfairly by an individual or a group of people because of the color of your skin?
- Have you lost sleep because of the race relations and injustices BIPOC face in American?
- Do you have concerns about the persistent racial inequalities in the justice system?
- Are you concerned about racial inequalities in the educational system?
- Do you have concerns about the persistent racial inequalities faced in your neighborhood?
- Are you triggered by the images of racial oppression displayed on the media?
If you answered “yes” to several of the questions above, then this would be the right group for you.
By participating in this group, you will have an open forum to process and discuss your feelings surrounding race relations, complex racial issues, and discrimination in the U.S. Topics such as microaggressions, marginalization, prejudices, racism, trauma and triggers, feeling toward racial inequity and experiences of being BIPOC in America will be addressed in this support group.
Support groups provide an atmosphere where you come together with others to share problems or concerns, to better understand your own situation, and to learn from and with each other. This group will ultimately provide room for change and growth.